IU Communications is responsible for media relations, internal communications, social media, executive communications, media planning, marketing, web, and creative and content services at both the university and campus levels. Working out of offices in Bloomington and Indianapolis, the organization’s senior leadership team consists of the chief marketing officer, associate vice president for marketing, assistant vice president for marketing, and directors of strategic communications for both Bloomington and Indianapolis.
The Social Media Intern plays an important role in assisting with the day-to-day creation, posting and planning of social media campaigns and activities at IU Bloomington, further strengthening engagement among the campus’ key audiences while advancing the unit’s marketing communications objectives. The successful candidate will have the following skills:
- Visual and creative acuity
- Experience in shooting video “on the fly”
- Photo and graphic design background (experience with Photoshop a plus)
- Knowledge of trends in the industry and a willingness to constantly explore and become familiar with new apps
- Ability to think quick-on-your-feet
- Sound judgment
- A basic understanding of social media marketing and communications metrics
- A flexible disposition
- A positive attitude and teamwork-focused approach
The position is usually two semesters, however, depending on performance, has the potential to be extended. This position requires a smartphone and data plan, both of which must be supplied by the incumbent.
Duties and Responsibilities
75 percent—Creating, curating and tracking content for social media that engages IU’s key audiences and meets its marketing communications and social media strategic plans. This includes—but is not limited to—contributing to the brainstorming and creation of daily social media posts; video, images and infographics; staffing social media-sponsored events; and utilizing social media analytical tools.
25 percent—Miscellaneous communications support, including but not limited to editing, research, media monitoring and reporting, event planning and staffing, content distribution, correspondence, strategic planning and crisis response.
Education and Experience
Open to all IU Bloomington students, but preference given to those in journalism, public relations, marketing or communications. Experience in crafting and implementing social media strategy, as well as analyzing and modifying campaigns and shooting and editing photos and video. Must be a proven “think outside the box” type of individual and able to juggle many projects simultaneously and successfully.
- Reports to the Senior Social Media Specialist and Director of Social Media Strategy
- Responsible for helping to create and curate engaging content for Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, YouTube and other social media platforms.
- Monitors—and may be asked to respond to—social media channels for questions and concerns from key audiences, especially during crises or in regards to highly-sensitive issues, and communicates findings with the rest of the social media team.
- Compiles and analyzes important metrics of social media activity and communicates findings with the social media team in support of strategic goals and objectives.
- Identifies and reviews social media trends and works with the social media team to draft and modify strategies as appropriate.
- Performs other duties as assigned or necessary for the effective operation of IU Communications.