IU Communications is responsible for media relations, internal communications, social media, executive communications, media planning, marketing, web, and creative and content services at both the university and campus levels.
The Social Media Video Intern will play an important role in assisting with the daily and weekly video production and editing for social media campaigns and activities at IU Bloomington further strengthening engagement among the campus’ key audiences while advancing the unit’s marketing communications objectives. The successful candidate will have the following skills:
- Experience in shooting and editing video on short deadlines on tools ranging from DSLRs to smartphones, “on-the-fly” and in studio settings.
- Strong knowledge of Adobe Premiere Pro and video editing techniques
- Knowledge of social media platforms and trends
- Creative with the ability to think quick-on-your-feet and adapt to changing demands
- Sound judgment
- An in-depth understanding of social media video formats, topics and styles
- A flexible disposition
- A great attitude and teamwork-focused approach
- Preferred: Experience with After Effects/ Character Animator/Photoshop
Duties and Responsibilities
75 percent—Creating social media video content that engages IU’s key audiences and meets its marketing communications and social media strategic plans across multiple platforms. This includes—but is not limited to— planning, shooting and editing daily and weekly videos in multiple video formats; coordinating and shooting in-studio interviews; live event coverage and conceiving, developing and executing social media video campaigns in collaboration with other IU schools, departments and units.
25 percent—Miscellaneous communications support, including but not limited to brainstorming ideas, research, video tracking and reporting, collecting royalty-free video b-roll clips, content distribution, asset archiving, strategic planning and crisis response.
Education and Experience
Open to all IU Bloomington students, but preference given to those in journalism, public relations, marketing or communications with proven video production experience. Must be a proven “think outside the box” type of individual and able to juggle many projects simultaneously and successfully.
- Reports to the Senior Social Media Specialist and Assistant Director of Video Production
- Responsible for helping to create and curate engaging video content for Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, YouTube, TikTok and other social media platforms.
- Compiles and analyzes important metrics of social media video activity and communicates findings with the social media team in support of strategic goals and objectives.
- Identifies and reviews social media video trends and works with the social media team to draft and modify strategies as appropriate.
- Performs other duties as assigned or necessary for the effective operation of IU Communications.